D. Edward Hays
D. Edward Hays, is a founding member of the firm of Marshack Hays LLP. He was born in Los Angeles, California. He graduated with honors from California State University at Fullerton in 1989 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Business. He graduated from the University of Southern California Law Center in 1992 where he was a member of the Hale Moot Court Honors program. Mr. Hays was admitted to practice in 1992.
In October 2014 Mr. Hays was named Best Lawyers 2015 and he has earned the distinction of being a Super Lawyer from 2011-2017. Mr. Hays currently serves on the Board of Directors for the following organizations: Orange County Bankruptcy Forum; Legal Aid Society of Orange County; and University of Southern California Law School Annual Fund. In 2004-2005, Mr. Hays served as the President of the Cal State Fullerton Alumni Association and was selected that year as a CSUF Volunteer of the Year. In 2004, Mr. Hays was the Chair of the Resolutions Committee for the Orange County Bar Association and has served as a delegate to the State Bar Conference on behalf of Orange County every year since 1995. In 2000, Mr. Hays was the Chair of the Commercial Law & Bankruptcy Section of the Orange County Bar Association.
Previously, Mr. Hays served as a Director or member of the following organizations: Inland Empire Bankruptcy Forum; Cal State University Fullerton Alumni Association; Cal State University Fullerton Philanthropic Foundation; William P. Gray Legion Lex American Inns of Court, Federal Bar Association and Executive Council for the College of Business at Cal State Fullerton. In 1998 and 1999, Mr. Hays also served as a Judge Pro Tem for the Superior Court of the State of California, County of Los Angeles.
Ed also has been selected on numerous occasions to present lectures on various legal topics including bankruptcy, exemptions, enforceability of spendthrift trusts, and online public record research. He also served on the Central District Task Force for Amendments to the Local Bankruptcy Rules.
In 2004, Ed won the State Bar 5k race and, in 2005 and 2006, was the runner-up. He also actively participates in triathlons completing full-distance Ironman events in 2000 and 2003.
Ed Hays became a State Bar of California Certified Specialist in Bankruptcy Law as of July, 2017.
- In re Continental Capital & Credit, 158 B.R. 828 (Bankr. C.D.Cal. 1993);
- In re Turner, 186 B.R. 108 (9th Cir. BAP 1995);
- In re National Environmental Waste Corporation, 191 B.R. 832 (Bankr. C.D.Cal. 1996) aff’d 129 F.3d 1052 (9th Cir. 1997);
- In re Metz, 225 B.R. 173 (9th Cir. BAP 1998); Blonder v. Cumberland Engineering, (1999) 71 Cal.App.4th 1057, 84 Cal.Rptr.2d 216;
- In re Kuraishi, 237 B.R. 172 (Bankr. C.D.Cal. 1999);
- In re Kim, 257 B.R. 680 (9th Cir. BAP 2000);
- In re Dudley, 249 F.3d 1170 (9th Cir. 2001);
- In re Dick Cepek, 339 B.R. 730 (9th Cir. BAP 2006);
- In re Rinard, 415 B.R. 12 (Bankr. C.D.Cal. 2011);
- In re Four Star Financial Services, Inc., 444 B.R. 428 (Bankr. C.D.Cal. 2011) rev’d 469 B.R. 30 (D.Cal. 2012);
- In re Cusimano, 2013 WL 9736597 (Bankr. C.D.Cal. 2013).